Thursday, October 25, 2012

Plus 1000 & a Sub 2

Girlfriends Half Marathon

Feeling good & on target
The Girlfriends Half Marathon was my set date for meeting two challenges.  The first to raise $1000 for breast cancer and the second to run a sub 2.

Raising a $1000

I started the fund raising by kicking in $100.  I sent emails to friends, family and people who donated in the past.  I also solicited on facebook.  I suggested skipping one's latte/mocha and donating the $4 or $5 one spend on the coffee.  One response I received was I'm taking lunch all week next week and donating $50.  I was overwhelmed by the tremendous amount of support and officially raised $1, 050. 

Breast cancer kills 11 women a week in Oregon and SW Washington.  If you think about you may know someone who has breast cancer or has passed away.  I was so overwhelmed and grateful for the response from everyone.   This was not possible without the following supporters:
  • Aunt Barbara 
  • Karen F
  • Helen Y
  • Carole W
  • Jennifer L
  • The Andres Family
  • Dorothy H
  • Andrea O
  • Joseph B
  • Melinda W
  • Karen C
  • Sharon O
  • Kari M
  • Fritzi F
  • Marie R
  • Laura F
  • Kelli C
  • Emily W
  • Sean S
  • Nani T
  • Erin S
  • Mary H
  • Kathryn W
  • Jenny G
  • Jennifer B

Sub 2 Training

I have come in several races at 2:05:xx. I knew I needed some structure to meet my goal.  After running the Ragnar Relay, I took 2 weeks off and then signed up with the Runner Chick Training Club.  http://www.runnerchicktrainingclub.com/index.html  I have met many of my goals and made life long friendships with runner friends because of Kelly who started the group.  If you are looking to get connected with other women who want to run, get on a training plan to meet your goal I suggest you join. I also highly recommend doing one of her run adventures.

Kelly had me set up on a 12 week plan to break 2 hours.  She hooked me up with some other runners who were planning to do the same.  My consistent run buddy over the 12 weeks was Christina.  First of Christina had already run Hippie Chick at 1:55.  Our first speed workout was mile repeats at 8:54 pace. I was dying.  My legs felt fine but my lungs were screaming.  The other thing is that Christina can talk during the tempo runs.  Lucky for me Jamie could talk with her and I basically told the girls I could talk to them on the warm up and cool down.  Every week I was able to run the required mileage (and then some) but was struggling to keep up on the tempo runs and mile repeats.  I was so anxious about making the "time" we would end up running about 5 - 10 seconds faster.  I even went home one night and had a melt down, questioning whether I could run a sub 2.  Kelly kept saying it will all come together.  

I was running a tempo run and feeling completely stressed about having 2 more miles to go and Jamie exhaled.  Then it clicked for me.  I wasn't breathing.  I was so focused on my time I was creating my own world of anxiety.  That was the turning point for me.  I relaxed and let myself breathe.  On the cool down mile, I told Jamie what I noticed about her breathing and how I found it helpful.  After that, things became easier.  I knew I could run a sub 2. Christina gave me feedback each week that she noticed my breathing was getting better.  

On our last tempo run the week of the race, Christina and I running 8:54 (subtract 5 seconds off we were really doing 8:50) and half way through our run realized we were talking to each other!  

My Fund Raising Efforts 


With the Pink Brigade Guys

Because I raised over $500 I was supposed to get a 10 minute start and I was waffling on starting early or running with Christina for part of the race.  Then I found out there were only 2 of us (really only 2 of us that raised over $500???) so the organizer asked if we could be recognized with the Pink Brigade Guys and have our entrance fees waived for next year.  The Pink Brigade guys raised a $1000 and had to wear pink to run.  22 men participated.  I thought pretty awesome!

Pre-Race Photo with the ladies


Ready to run!


Christina and I ran a little over a mile together.  I stayed just under 9 minutes and she was running faster.  At one point she looked back at me and I said "go".  We all have to meet our goals and she had it in her to run faster.

I felt good until mile 10.  I got a side stitch. So I pushed up the hills and my Garmin click 9:16.  Really?  I think I may have said the f-word out loud.  Then somewhere along Officer's Row, I saw my mom and dad.  Well I can't suck now.  I picked up my pace and waved at them.  It was a good motivator to have them at the end.  After that I came into downtown and knew I had 2 right turns and I would be done.  I pushed and ran as hard and as fast as I could.  

Then we went by the finish line and cheered on the other runners.  It was a great day!  There were 2242 women listed for the run.  Here are my official results:

OVERALL 190 
DIVPL 48/480
TIME 1:55:17
PACE 8:48

Lunch at Beaches

No comments:

Post a Comment