Friday, October 26, 2012

Dressed for Success

Dressed for Success


One of my 39 experiences was to knit a blanket and give it to a shelter.  Little did I know how difficult it is to knit....let alone to have the patience.  I attempted to create a scarf which looks more like a misshapen pot holder.  I think someday I might finish it.  But in this process I decided to still donate a blanket.  I also decided to clean out my closet and donate clothes, shoes, etc. in lieu of the blanket.  Since I have become a runner, my body shape has changed....I'm thinner and my clothes do not hang correctly and because of my running my feet have gone up 1/2 a size.  I had a closet full of clothes/shoes that were not being worn.  It makes sense as I'm cleaning out other areas of my life that I clean out things that are no longer being used.

Prior to bagging everything up

I decided to research different domestic violence or intimate partner violence shelters to donate my unused clothing/blanket/bags and shoes.  Most shelters do not have the space to hold donated items and refer to different thrift stores.  I decided to donate my clothes to Dressed for Success - which is connected to Bradley Angle House http://bradleyangle.org/  Women can go in and find appropriate clothes for work, including suits.  They also take shoes and casual clothes as well.

October is also domestic violence awareness month so I bagged up the items and took them down to  donate.  It felt good to give to other women who are looking to escape an abusive situation.  Many encounter financial hardships in trying to escape their situation.  The clothing that I no longer can wear or fit me can go to these women as they begin a new life.

All the items I donated


I think it is important that in my life that I make a difference where it counts.  This is one of those times.  Honestly do I need "stuff"?  Our society has become such a consumer wasteland...selling the notion that you "need" this.  When many of us are spending outside of our means, going into debt, collecting items in excess and are one step away from becoming a hoarder.

How can you make a difference in someone else's life?  How much stuff do you really need?

No comments:

Post a Comment