Saturday, October 27, 2012

Faith Cafe

Faith Cafe

My idea of going snowmobiling did not work out.  Part way through the season the snowfall was not great enough and my connections with snowmobiles said it was a bad year.  

Huh - well it was time to replace this experience.   A friend of mine was helping out through her church to feed the homeless.  She has done this quite a few times with her mom.  I really thought it was fantastic to help out others in need.  Especially those who are hungry.  A person can acquire food from a food bank, but do they have the means or facilities to cook or create a meal.  Let alone a hot meal? 

We arrived early, there are multiple churches that rotate in serving at Faith Cafe.  We arrived around 4:30 checked in, they went over the details, held hand then said a prayer and sang a song.  Then the doors opened.  The tables have tablecloth and flowers on them.  There were families, elderly, people in wheelchairs, teenagers and young adults.  Hunger does not see an age, your ethnicity or abilities. 

We stood by the table and as people sat down I offered them a drink (milk, juice, soda, coffee, tea or water) and brought them silverware.  I then lined up in the kitchen for the plated meal which was beef stroganoff over a biscuit, green beans and salad/fruit salad.  There was a dessert table and individuals could have seconds once everyone had been served.  In the back of the church was a table with food items for people to take.  It varied from bread, peanut butter, fresh fruit and chips. There were other items but I didn't get a close look as I was busy.  We cleared plates and cleaned up after everyone left. 

One of the volunteers said to me this is an experience, isn't it?  It is and it was.  

I often ask myself after any experience, would I do this experience again? For the most part I have answered yes - (with one exception).   This officially is my last of my 39 experiences.  My perspective has shifted and I have grown in so many ways.  I appreciate and see things very differently.

What's Next?

I've been asked will I have 40 experiences when I'm 40?  The answer is no.  It takes a lot of planning and time to do so many things in a year.  It also means funding these experiences and as I once said to a former boss "work is getting in the way of my activities, however work is paying for those activities".

I am turning 40 in less than a week and as I reflect back on my best moments it helps shape the direction I would like to go toward in my future.  As I move forward I would like to focus on enhancing my creative side, enjoying the outdoors and making positive impacts.


No comments:

Post a Comment