Monday, September 3, 2012

Tunnel Falls

Tunnel Falls

I first heard about Tunnel Falls last summer. My co-worker, Andrew gave me all the details on this amazing hike he did.  He said the falls were spectacular and was roughly 14 - 15 miles.  I haven't done much hiking and the only falls in Oregon that I have seen were Multnomah and Silver Falls.  

I decided that I wanted to hike the falls.

Scheduling 39 experiences has become difficult with November fast approaching.  I found an open weekend.  So after a 6 mile run, Diana came over with her "Adventure Van".  Diana's van this summer has transported 6 women (including myself) for 191 mile relay near the border of Canada to the end of Whidbey Island.  In addition, the van took us on a Runner Chick event ~ Run - n- Raft (rnr)...where we rank a 5K (ok 5K + extra) and then went over a class 5 waterfall on the White Salmon.  By the way I was in front of the raft.  In fact at rnr we started talking about the planned hike and it picked up interest. What started out as 3 hikers grew in size to 5 and then 7.

The "Adventure Van"

So we headed up to Eagle Creek Trail just past Multnomah Falls.  If you are interested, head east on 84 and take exit 41.

Our hike began at the trailhead.  Andrew graciously agreed to take us on our adventure.  I have never seen so many changes of scenery as I did on the hike.  I thought a pictorial is the best way to capture the essence of our day.  (The only thing missing is a picture of our post hike stop at Dairy Queen).


Karen, Me, Andrew, Karen, McKenzie, Diana & Andrew - at the trailhead 

Beginning of the hike

Branches covered in moss frame the picture

Off we go



Crossing the water on stepping stones



Mini waterfalls

Water has carved out the an alcove

Another waterfall




We stopped for lunch 

Diana & Trevor on a rock

Karen

McKenzie & Andrew



The perfect hiker

I love the trees




For you Lord of the Ring fans - trail of doom

Something about these steps grabbed my attention


First sight of Tunnel Falls - see the person at the bottom of the picture for size comparison


Cheesy pic to log my experience



Coming through the tunnel

Karen just came out of the tunnel



Tunnel Falls pic 1

Tunnel Falls pic 2


Nature is amazing!

Another small falls with pools ahead


The view from the pools


This tree was by the swimming hole

Another break by the pools

The water is cold but good to soak in

Above the pools
Time to get our shoes back on!



Sitting next to the falls
Hanging out by the last set of falls
I loved this experience - a 15 mile hike with friends....a nice lunch by the river and ever changing scenery.  In my opinion Tunnel Falls far outshines Multnomah Falls.  

I was exposed not only the most pristine and memorable place, but I am inspired to do more hikes.  In fact, next summer, I plan to return to Tunnel Falls and camp for a weekend.  My experience of camping has been pretty casual and easy.  Packing everything in would be very different for me and since I'm all about experiences, I think it is kismet.


No comments:

Post a Comment