Sunday, September 16, 2012

Southern Oregon Adventure Day 4

Chocolate, Cheese, Wine & Prospect

Goodbye Jakcsonville

Our leaving would not be complete without having a good cup of coffee.  A recommendation from the woman pouring at Quady North we found our caffeine addiction fulfilled.  Onward to Prospect....with a few stops on the way.

Lillie Belle Chocolate

Situated next to Rogue Creamery is Lillie Belle Chocolates.  They have Rogue Blue Cheese truffle (and no I didn't try it).  I bought my parents a variety of chocolates including one made with bacon and pork fat.  My dad informed me that it was awful....but all of the other chocolates were good.  I did try a fig and marzipan chocolate and a nutter-fluff (peanut butter and marshmallow).  Not that I'm a chocolate connoisseur but I think Bernard C has the best chocolate in Oregon.  My second choice would be a Lindt Dark Chocolate bar with fig and caramel.  I found it on a roadtrip to Zurich in a gas station of all places.  I should have bought the whole case as I have never seen it since.

Rogue Creamery

We literally walked across the parking lot to Rogue Creamery.  There we sampled some cheeses.  I didn't realize that Rogue made their own cheddar.  They also have a cheese club (much like a wine club).  We bought some pesto and jalepeno curds.  I bought the Crater Lake Blue and a boar sausage and some pickled olives.

Folin Vineyards

Sitting on the patio at Folin Vineyards


After leaving Rogue we headed North to Gold Hill and stopped at Folin Vineyards.  Folin was recommended but is part of the Rogue Valley appellation of wines.  I didn't buy wine but found a great map with all the wineries of Oregon and parts of Washington.  Then we made our way toward Prospect.

On our way to Crater Lake we stopped by a park along the Rogue and had lunch with the recent purchases and some fruit we brought along with us.

Prospects in Prospect

My original plan was to stay at Crater Lake but I waited to long to book a room and by the time (two weeks later) I figured out an itinerary, everything booked up.  I started researching places to stay on the way to Crater Lake and found the Historic Prospect Inn, a bed and breakfast.  Unlike most bed and breakfast places, the Prospect Inn offered a room for the three of us.


After checking in the staff informed us that Crater Lake was roughly a 45 minute drive from Prospect.  They directed us to go for a short hike nearby to see some waterfalls and the Avenue of the Boulders.  When Mt Mazama blew, boulders flew from the top and landed near Prospect.  It created some spectacular formations.  Water has such power and force that I find I'm drawn to it.

First waterfall on our hike


Avenue of the Boulders


Sitting on one of the boulders - this was my view

Waterfall #2
Waterfall #3

Chilling on the rock - enjoying the view

Magnificent tree




Then we headed north and did a small hike to see the natural bridge.  The water flows through the rock creating a natural bridge over the rushing water. 
Natural Bridge
Our fourth day had a little of everything happening. I am happy that our plans did not turn out so that we could stay in Prospect....otherwise I might have missed seeing the Avenue of the Boulders, which was the highlight of the day for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment