Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Southern Oregon Adventure Day 1

Day 1

Leave 8 am in the "Pregnant Roller Skate"

Ready to roll

My dad insisted on buying a small Suzuki car to putt around town and the gas mileage was much better than his truck.  Kelli stated it looked like a rollerskate but the sides bulge out so it became the "pregnant roller skate".  My SUV has been acting strange and there is some issue with loss of power so that meant we needed a different vehicle.

Off we went in the pregnant roller skate to Southern Oregon.  The original plan was to hit the following on my list of 39 experiences:

  1. Oregon Caves
  2. Wine Tasting through Applegate Valley
  3. Stay the night in a treehouse
  4. House of Vortex
  5. Crater Lake
The treehouse did not happen as they take reservations in advance and the waiting list of 50 people was already full.  In addition, Karen made a request that we go to the Winston Wildlife Safari and I added wine tasting through Umpqua Valley.

I went to my best resource John Hansen and asked about which wineries to go to. Off the top of his head, he gave me the following:

  • Hillcrest - the oldest winery in Oregon
  • Spangler
  • Abacela
  • Quady North
  • Troon
  • Cow Horn
  • Folin
  • Valley View
(John also suggested that we hit the Wildcat Preserve in Cave Junction).

So we headed out towards Roseburg and began our wine tasting adventure.  There were three wineries for the Umpqua region so looking at the map we decided to stop by Henry Estate. In the Umpqua Valley, they are encouraging visitors to do the winery passport by hitting 5 wineries - you receive a small gift and are entered in a drawing to receive a package of wines.  




On our wine tasting adventure


Hmmm there is a reason why John did not mention Henry Estate.  I attempted to try to choke down their wines.  I don't recommend stopping by.

Well you can read the sign

Next up was Hillcrest which is not only the oldest vineyard in Oregon but a small operation where you can only purchase wines from the winery.  Everything they make is quite wonderful.  I recommend the 2009 Tempranillo.   The owner suggested we stop for our fifth winery at Del Fino, another small operation.  So we headed to Del Fino. The guy was excited and interested in his work but again, I wasn't in love with any of the wines.  



Cluster of grapes
Stop #3 was Abacela.  You can purchase Abacela wines in the grocery store I have had several of their wines and love their Tempranillo, Syrah and Vitner's Blend.  At their gorgeous tasting room, I had a fantastic Viognier.  Our last stop was at Spangler, which also has a tasting room in Newberg.  Again, a small distribution to a few restaurants so you must purchase through their tasting room/winery.  My favorite wine was the 2008 Syrah.  

Always a good choice for wine



On the patio of Abacela
(To note Southern Oregon wines has the heat and intensity to grow fantastic Tempranillo and Syrah grapes, unlike the the Pinot Noir found closer to the Portland area).

Winston Safari
Then we headed to the Winston Safari.  I will be honest this was not on the list of highlights for me.  It was ok and I saw a lot of wildlife but some of the spaces still seemed confined for the bears and cats.  The leopard with her 3 cubs were the cutest thing ever.   Below is the tour based on my camera.


Ostrich or Emu?


Well I lost my Safari map guide so ????


Lions ready for feeding time





Long horns - on a wildlife safari???


Hippo


You can see his/her eyes

Zebra


Horned ????


Wildebeest in the background


Bear




There are a lot of pictures - they were pacing by the fence










I felt bad for these guys that were across the way 

Elk


Rhino


Camel




This guy got close to our car



Monkeys


Grooming

Some sort of white deer but they look like a cross between lambs and goats



Looking over her cubs

Alert momma





Tiger


Lions and Tigers and Bears - Oh my
I definitely think the cats and the bears need more space...especially the leopards.  I guess I can say I did it, check it off my list and look towards doing an African safari in the future some day.  




No comments:

Post a Comment