Friday, August 17, 2012

Let's Jump Out of a Plane

Sky Diving

I've wanted to sky dive for a long time now.  I had originally planned to do this in Switzerland with friends.  But unfortunately, the weather had other plans for us.  Fast forward a few years later and I'm having what some would call a mid-life crisis but instead of impulsively buying material items, I am having experiences.  I don't personally feel that it is a mid-life crisis....but I have to admit I am having an emotional crisis.  My most recent melt down was a 90 minute crying session.  Post crying, I pulled myself together and forced myself to look at what I'm doing.  I thought having 39 experiences would make turning 40 easier.  Clarity brought forth for me that 40 is not the issue, but the fact that I will have to deal with the reality that I may never have children.  I don't want to look back on my life having regret and honestly, I'm grieving.

Details

I paid a deposit and set up the dive.  Sky Dive Oregon likes cash...who doesn't??? They give you a break if you pay in cash.  $285 for the tandem dive and dvd/photos.  A co-worker of mine, Andrew wanted to go and so I had a buddy.  Thank you Andrew!  They said show up at 1 pm and expect to stay for 4-5 hours.


Pre-flight


What did I sign up for?

There is a ton of paperwork to fill out.  Basically so you won't sue them.  In multiple places it says "Sky Diving is dangerous" and discusses broken bones and death.  There is even a section that has you acknowledge that you have set up arrangements in case of death for partner/spouse and children.  Well, the silver lining is this ~ not having a family works in my favor.  I started to get a little anxious.  I was appreciative that Andrew was there as we could chat, watch the sky divers come in both singles and tandem.  (Without rough landings and broken bones). After about 45 minutes, my butterflies started to go away.  3 hours later, I was more than ready...."let's get this dog and pony show on the road!"....we thought for sure our names would get called.  Nope.  Big sigh and continue to wait.  4 hours later we were called to "gear up".  

"and/or death".

Flight Instructor - Archie

Archie is not super personable....he doesn't say much and my overall initial opinion is that he is cocky.  But if you've been doing this for 20 years, I guess you can be that way.  He says he doesn't get the adrenaline rush anymore.  Anyhow, I can't really complain, as I'm here typing about my experience.  

Archie put all my gear on and Pete was my videograher/photgrapher.  We climbed into the plane.  There were 9 of us.  There are no seats, you line up into two lines leaning back into the next person.  Archie, attached us together and tightened up the straps.  If you have an issue with personal space....this is not for you.  He then gave me instructions that we would slide/scoot to the door, I would tuck my feet under the door, hold onto my straps, turn my head to the right and he would give a count and out we would go....once in the air I needed to put my feet on his butt (again personal space means nothing) lift my arms and head....and have fun.  Archie said have fun multiple times....so maybe he is a bit more personable than I pegged him at first.  He also was very clear that I was not to reach or grab for him.

Andrew & I look like we should be a part of SNL coneheads.

We're halfway there???

Archie behind me & Pete is in the corner of the shot!

Pete who was sitting in my lap turned around and took a bunch of pictures and said to me we're are only halfway up are you ready?  I responded out of disbelief 'we're only halfway?'  I couldn't stop grinning and the butterflies came back.  Everything on the ground started to decrease in size.  From above it looked like a patchwork quilt.

Free Fall

Free Fall

The door was open and the three single sky divers jumped out...next was Andrew's photographer, Andrew and his flight instructor, Kirk.  Moving in a seated position with a person on your back is awkward.  So we scooted to the door.  My legs dangled over the plane at 13,000 feet up - a one, two, three and we dropped out of the plane.  We fell and spun the photographer came up and took pictures.  I couldn't stop smiling.  It was like a feeling no other.  I felt light and free.  It was hard to breathe because we were rushing so fast towards the ground.

Falling towards the earth

Check out the force on my arm
60 seconds of free falling and a quick jerk and I was dangling.  My ears were killing me!  The pressure and popping was intense.  Archie had me hold on the to controls of the parachute and he loosened up my straps which allowed me to breathe a little easier.  He informed me that I would have to yell to talk to him, which I figured as my ears were plugged too.   He had me try lifting my legs for the landing and pointed out Mt Hood and Mt Adams.  The view was breath taking and at the same time a sense of calm washed over me.  I took everything in and allowed myself to fully experience every sensation.

My chute opening up

We had to get away from another sky diver so he made multiple hard left turns, we were basically spinning.  We floated in.  I lifted my legs, flexed my feet, attempted to stand up but didn't rise up quick enough so I had a soft slide landing.  Ears still plugged, I was grinning.  Pete my photographer came over and said he got great footage and that I was the "most smiley" jumper ever.

Coming in for the landing
It was good!

I have to go with each moment - experience life to the fullest.  I know that I am privileged to be able to basically do what I want, when I want.  Not everyone has the opportunities I have had or the support from family and friends. I've had some amazing moments in my life and amazing people to share them with and I am truly grateful.



6 comments:

  1. That's pretty awesome! You are braver or crazier than I am :-)

    Re: Children... it's okay to grieve. You have a lot to offer as a spouse and parent. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gordon ~

      Thank you...the process of loss is never easy especially when it is non-tangible.

      Sonya

      Delete
  2. Wow! Looks like you had an amazing experience and time jumping out of a moving plane. Kudos to you! Even though we haven't spent much time over the last couple years, know that I also am here for you with an ear and a shoulder. I know how much you want to be a mother, it's an inherent part of who you are. But I'm happy that you are enjoying the journey of your life as it is. I'll always love you my beautiful, brave cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Na- thank you so much. I love you and have missed you. I hope that more of our lives will intersect in the future.

      Delete
  3. So awesome - I want to do this someday. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally do this....but I have to warn you, it can increase some levels of anxiety - it is not natural to fall to the earth. And I love you too!!! :)

      Delete