Sunday, August 5, 2012

Something is always blooming

Trifecta of Blooms, Garden & Pollen

The particular posting has come about because I have not had time to write.  Somehow I have let writing on a more consistent basis slip away from me.  So I have decided to go with a theme  - Trifecta - 3 months of flowers, 3 gardens and a little bit of pollen.

BLOOMS

For years I have said I should buy myself flowers and I have on occasion.   In deciding that I should buy flowers every month it was important for me to not only have experiences but do things that I have wanted to or found myself saying.  As I created the list I did not realize this but it has come to my attention lately that NOW is the time to do this.  It's not like if I wait I will have more time in my life.  The best part of buying flowers is when I can purchase them from the farmer's markets.  Post 39 experiences I have decided that I will continue to enjoy fresh cut flowers in the spring/summer from the market.  I not only support local farmers but the blooms last so much longer and are truly exquisite.

~May 

Flowers from Portland Farmers Market

~June 

Flowers from Ballard Farmers Market

Well the problem with summer and wanting to have so many experiences is that one's schedule becomes quite busy.  So at the end of July no trips were made to the farmer's market.  For kicks I paid the same price for flowers as you can see the bouquet is just not the same.

~July

$15 bouquet from the store - just not the same....

THE GARDENS

I find it interesting that most people (including) myself will travel and visit different attractions but hardly do this in their own back yard.  So right here in my back yard are 3 gardens:  Lan Su Chinese Garden, the Oregon Garden and the Japanese Garden.  I have actually been to the Japanese Garden but it had been such a long time I thought it needed a visit.

Lan Su Garden

Lan Su Chinese Garden is the newest of the three gardens.  Located in Chinatown, the garden opened in 2000 and is the smallest of the three gardens, approximately 40,000 square feet.  The day I went there were different peony flowers and trees within the courtyard.

One of the Peony's 


As I walked into the garden there were a group of people practicing their Tai Chi forms.  The were so relaxed but focused at the same time as they moved in a methodical rhythm.  The garden has many nuances as the walls  of the city block encompass the garden and the foliage encompass the lake within the garden.  With my recent interest in updating my yard I found some things I would love to plant but of course am completely clueless on what they are.

Notice the detail of light green against the dark green to have a striped effect.


At one point, I was watching the tai chi practice. While I was sitting and reflecting, I looked up and noticed the dichotomy of the garden with traditional fixtures against the newer building of downtown Portland.

The dichotomy

THE POLLEN

Oregon Garden

A sea monster amongst the lily pads

The day started out with an event at Willakenzie Vineyard and Winery.  Run Now & Wine Later was a 3-6 mile run (by choice) around the vineyard.  I ended up running around 4.5ish and breakfast.  After breakfast we had a guest speaker, Sarah Bowen Shea, author of Run Like a Mother and Train Like a Mother who shared insight and funny tidbits about running followed by wine tasting.  We then headed to Silverton, OR to the Oregon Garden.  It was fun to drive through wine country and then through farmland and small quaint towns.  The Oregon Garden is the largest of the three gardens, boasting 80 acres and 20 specialty gardens.  My favorites were the water and pet friendly gardens.  There was wedding going on in the event center and I did not realize they actually have a resort where you can stay.

We poked around the garden, gawked at the gaudy bridesmaid dresses and groom's metallic suit and then caught a tram to get an overview.  This would have been great with the exception that my nose became a sieve and I blew (literally) through two packs of tissues.  As my eyes watered on the tram a bug flew into one eye.  I ran out of eye drops and overdosed on allergy meds.  After we got off the tram I forced myself between sneezes to check out the garden.  I emphatically told Karen - "Remind me to never get married here or attend any events here as I might die".


I felt like this guy


I did appreciate the garden and under other circumstances it would have been a better experience.  I recommend the garden unless you have allergies....then you might consider dosing up extra, taking two boxes of kleenex and possibly stuffing toilet paper or cotton up your nose.....hey you got to do what you got to do when you are desperate and suffering.


Part of the Pet Friendly garden




Japanese Garden

Strolling Pond Garden

The trip to the Japanese Garden was on one of the hottest days we've had recently in Portland.  So it was a nice reprieve to walk through the shade of the garden.  There are five gardens within the 5.5 acre garden itself.  My favorite of the five is the strolling pond garden.  At the lower pond is a connecting bridge or yatsuhashi through a bed of iris to a waterfall.

Heavenly Falls


After my travels in Japan and experiencing Ryoanji, the stone and sand garden did not make much of an impression.  As you can see below, this is all of the garden.  Some thing just can't be replicated.

Sand and Stone Garden

I did appreciate how much the mix of native plants and trees were intermixed within the garden.  Again, I found a flowering shrub that I would like to plant in my own back yard, but I have no idea what it is.  So if you have a green thumb, please let me know what the name of it is.

What is this????


Post garden tour, we ventured over to the Rose Garden.  I have to say I applaud gardeners for all the work they do to maintain such beautiful gardens.  I think roses are pretty, smell nice but I would not like to have to maintain them so it is nice to enjoy the thousands of different roses they have displayed.

I couldn't get over how big this rose was!
Plants provide structure and create spaces that can be of utility, relaxation and enjoyment.  As I develop my own yard I realize how important the space, structure and design is, in addition to choosing the right plant or shrub or tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment