Monday, August 13, 2012

Afternoon Tea

Afternoon Tea

The Heathman Hotel has an afternoon tea daily at 2 pm.  On the weekends there are two seatings available at noon and 2 pm.  The afternoon tea is held in the library.

I took my mom as my date to tea.  Laura and her mom, Kelly, joined us.

(To give you a bit of background....I have watched Laura grow up from a young adolescent to an amazing woman.  I have been a part of her life on and off the ice including major events in her life from birthdays, graduations and even was in her wedding. Our relationship has evolved from coach-student, mentor-colleague to close friends.  So this was a great opportunity to have another moment to share and experience with Laura).  

At afternoon tea, you start with your choice of a pot of tea and then a three tiered serving tray is brought out with an assortment of scones, banana bread, sandwiches, deviled eggs, cakes, lemon bars and house made marshmallows.  I think I had the best scone ever at afternoon tea.  It was moist on the inside which was surprising being often scones are so dry and crumbly.  The assortment of food is a carbohydrate lovers dream and a celiac and diabetic's nightmare.  So far I do not have either of these issues and had just put in a long run prior to tea.

Tea & Treats

After much sipping, noshing and talking we ended up taking a few left over items home.  It was fun to dress up and take our moms out for a nice time.  It's important to have those moments of bonding between parent and daughter and as women.

Kelly, Laura, Me and my Mom

I know that Laura and her mom would like to take her grandma to tea.  As for my mom...she informed me she would prefer just going to lunch or dinner there.  As a person of color I have found that food in general has special meaning in the aspect of sharing food and the social connection for me.  One of the great things of afternoon tea is you can take your time to sip, talk and eat.  I would definitely go to tea again....but for a new experience I might try it a specialty tea house or another hotel like the Empress in Victoria that offers a high tea.





No comments:

Post a Comment