Friday, April 27, 2012

I'm running a marathon - Sunday

I'm running a marathon Sunday.  It still hasn't hit me.  But here are 10 things I have learned about training for the marathon.


  1. Exhaustion is nothing compared to training for a marathon.  I have never felt so physically tired in my life.  I'm no stranger to commitment and training for extended hours per day.  But running is a different animal.  (It also really stops the kids from whining when they say they are tired and have no time to train for skating....I give them the look and they realize that the commitment, make an action plan and follow it speech is going to come out and if I can work 2 + jobs and run 35-40 miles per week + they can figure it out).
  2. I can eat anything.  Pretty much I am starving all the time....I'm not sure what is more intense the exhaustion or hunger.  I can have whatever I want without any repercussions.
  3. Hmmm....the above statement is somewhat untrue.  I cannot drink adult beverages the night before a run.  I pay the price with each miserable step.  I even stopped taking wine tasting classes as it was having a bad affect on my Thursday runs.
  4. Running is not about speed but distance for the marathon.  My pace has really slowed down.  It will be interesting post marathon to see how that changes.  And due to the distance I have noticed that there are times my feet hurt....oh how a foot rub sounds so amazing.
  5. It really makes a difference to have run buddies to train, cheer you on and to jump in during the race to support us! You know who you are and I'm so grateful!
  6. My social life really has sucked.  I'm too tired to go out or I'm running.  I'm looking forward to spending time with friends who have been neglected by my lack of availability and time.  And I appreciate how supportive my non-runner friends have been.
  7. My mom actually has taken notice of my running and wished me luck for this weekend.  This is a first.  The only other comment she has made is to my friend's mom that I'm crazy.  (That might be true)
  8. I have had in depth conversations with other runners about important aspects of the race like there are not too many bathrooms after mile 9 and how to make sure you "go" so you don't have to "go" during the race.  I'm just going to say coffee does not work.  Chia seed....
  9. Coming back around to being exhausted - I was telling my pt how I am so tired all the time...all I do is run, work and run some more.  Dan asked me to turn over to check my sacrum and said "Well I can confirm you are tired because your pants are on inside out".  I then got the flu the next day and didn't run for a week.
  10. You can take a week off (even if forced) but because of the base of miles still not lose any ground.  I did notice Diana increase her distance from me on the hills but hey I had the flu.
I was informed that champagne was meant to be drank quickly and not to save it.  My dad got me for my 38th birthday a bottle of Dom Perignon.  I was waiting for a special occasion.  I'm happy to say I plan of having that this weekend as this is a special moment for me. 


4 comments:

  1. Yayyy marathon weekend! Can't wait to watch you cross that finish line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are going to be there! Hey I'm keeping it classy no Safeway champagne....unless we run out.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could be there to watch you cross that finish line! You are amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope Laura will be able to document it with photos or maybe even a video.

      Delete