Sunday, March 4, 2012

Superman is not super!

Last winter dragged on way too long.  I have known people to experience the winter blues of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) but I had no knowledge of what this was like.   Until last year.  I wouldn't say that I had SAD but I sure was tired of the gray and the rain.  I seriously contemplated a move down to Arizona after a friend offered me a job.  But with further contemplation, the idea of moving away from my parents and friends set in and I snapped back into reality.  In lieu of my move to better weather, I put out an inquiry amongst the women I run with (aka Runner Chicks) about doing a race somewhere sunny.  This did not illicit much response until I tempted them with "bling".  All of the runner chicks signed up for the inaugural Portland Rock 'n' Roll half marathon.  If you sign up for more than one race within the same year you get a medal called "Rock Encore".

hm_rock_encore_lrg.jpg
2012 Heavy Medals Series
Well it worked and the next thing I know we are having a bbq at Shelly's and voting on whether to do the Phoenix Rock 'n' Roll half, Tinkerbell half or the Pasadena Rock 'n' Roll half.


Anyhow so we voted to do the inaugural Pasadena Rock 'n' Roll half marathon.  We bought our plane tickets....fast forward 8 or 9 months later and we were off!  
At the airport


It was great to have a girls weekend get some sun and a run.  Cyndi's sisters live near Pasadena.  Her sister Gayle graciously offered to put all of us up and Dyana hosted a pre-race pasta dinner.  We had a bit of fun at the expo and drove most of the course.


Playing around at the expo - A little less conversation!


The day of the race I felt good and actually was running quite strong through mile 8.  I started to get feel the steady incline but it was nothing I couldn't handle.  However, the course was deceiving and after mile 10.  I began to have a tough time. (I think we all had a tough time starting at mile 10).  My left foot started to seize up on the last steep incline and what goes up must come down.  Fatigue set in and my hip could not endure the downhill and my left foot took a beating.  I just got rid of my fascial tissue pain in my left foot...which started up and my gait shortened.  I struggled the next two miles.  I was more mentally irritated than  my foot.  I had a personal record (PR) of 2:05:16 and shaved off 22 seconds off of my last half marathon but was under what I had hoped to come in at.  


What a great team!




My post is not just about my race but the opportunity to go to Pasadena allowed me to spend time with my run buddies, get some sun and also ride one of the three tallest roller coasters.  Superman Escape from Krypton is listed as the third tallest roller coaster at 415 feet. 
Waiting in line at X2

The next day after the race we decided to have a fun day at Magic Mountain and we did.  Our first ride was X2 which takes you to the 5th dimension and probably one of the best rides in the park.  The souvenir picture looks as if I have a Joan Rivers facelift because of the force pushing back everything or as I've stepped out of a Beverly Hills medical spa with an overload of botox.


See Joan Rivers face lift for me...I think Shelly is about to have an accident.


So as we are in line for X2 I see the Superman ride but no cars.  Not a good sign.  So we wind through the park and arrive at the entrance I read the the sign.....




They are redoing the superman ride.  UGH!  Was I disappointed?  I would be lying if I said no.  
What can I do???


I think it's important to note that what I learned from this is that I cannot predict the future and things may not happen the way I would want them to.  I am creating moments that I want to experience.  Even though I was unable to ride the 3rd tallest roller coaster in the world, the time I got to spend with some amazing women will last longer in my mind and heart than any 2 minute ride.  
No trip to California is complete without a stop at In-n-Out.





2 comments:

  1. Awww. It would be truly truly awesome to have you here in AZ... but you have such an amazing life in PDX I am not at all surprised you want to stay. Miss you though!

    Way to persevere on your run!

    G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon! Even a difficult 13.1 is a walk in the park after doing 17 this weekend. It's amazing how different the training is and feels for a marathon!

      Delete