Sunday, June 1, 2014

Newport Marathon

My second marathon

I had intended on running my second marathon last year in Vancouver B.C. but due to a horrible ankle sprain I ran the last couple of miles with a friends who were doing the half and full marathon.  I set out to finish my second marathon with Newport in mind.  My training was set and I was more than ready.

Tragedy

The week of my marathon I came home from a trip to find out my dog, Roms suddenly had become ill. I rushed from the airport and took him to Dove Lewis. I had to make the difficult decision to put him down as his body was full of cancer.  I remember the comment he doctor made.  'We can do an ultrasound and if it looks like surgery is a possibility, it will give you 3 - 6 months more time with him.  There will hospital stay, stabilization and possibly chemotherapy'.   (At some point I will be writing about Roms but I just can't....just not yet).  Exactly a week ago today I lost Roms.

I was a wreck - emotionally.  I wasn't sleeping and I forced myself to eat just because I knew I had the marathon.  I did my runs scheduled for the week.  Not the best of circumstances but it would work out as I had my training in place.
Newport
Running buddies in the marathon - Justin, Maureen, Diana, Abbi, Megan, Brittany, Kari and some marathon maniac photo bomber

The marathon recap

The good:  I felt great and I ran under 10s or at 10 through mile 12.  Kari and Dave were on the course cheering us on and offering support.  I even stopped at the oyster station and threw back a raw oyster - I felt fantastic!!

The bad:  A gu exploded in my pack and I had stickiness to deal with around mile 9.  But really in the light of things a little stickiness is the least of my worries.

The ugly:  Around mile 12ish my pace slowed down due to the sharp shooting pain in the side of my right knee.  A couple of times my knee gave out on me.  I waved Abbi on to run her race and to not wait for me.  Every step felt like I had a knife in the side of my knee and it was being twisted with each step.  The cantilever course killed my IT band.  I stretched a couple of times and my pace slowed to 11s.  

The rest of the story:  I saw Kari around mile 13 and swapped out my water belt for a hand held, which got rid of my sticky mess issue.  I grabbed my Voltaren and slathered a bunch on my knees and leg.  Each aid station I added more Voltaren hoping the topical anti-inflammatory would help the pain subside.  Every time I walked I could barely begin running again.  I got to the turn around and saw K at mile 18.  I took a few minutes to roll out with a stick my leg and took 4 Advil.  

The spectator bus rolled past me and I saw Dave waved and I waved back.  Around mile 19 I saw Kari and she said 'I'm running with you'.   Kari had no plans of running and didn't even have water on her.  I started to cry....this was not supposed to happen.  I was not supposed to lose Roms, my body was not supposed to give out on me, I was not supposed to walk, I was not supposed to run 11-12 minute miles....I was angry - so very angry, I was emotional and I was hurting.

I saw three women holding signs and I said to Kari 'Is that our girls?'  Sure enough Kim, Karen and Trisha were there with signs made.  Honestly I didn't even read the signs I just was excited to see them and I hugged each one.   Trisha joined us.  Again, not intending to run she had on a sweater and pants.  Having Kari and Trisha there for support was huge for me.  Actually having everyone there was huge.  I am pretty lucky to have so many people in my life that are there for me.

Trisha and Kim holding signs

Change in plans

My original goal was to run the marathon in 4:30, this was not happening and I knew it.  I set a new goal to finish before 5 hours.  Which would still be a PR.

I finished the last two miles strong as far as running but I was sobbing.  Imagine the ugly cry. (Yes, I know not pretty).  The crowd was great they were cheering.  My strength has always been the final stretch.  I can pick up my pace and run in.  Honestly I'm built more like a short sprinter than a long distance runner.   I took the downhill as an advantage and passed runners.  As I rounded the corner I heard someone yell - 'Yeah you go girl!!!'  I saw the clock time 4:54. 

Mimosa toast with Diana and Abbi
I think the first person to hug me was Diana.  My heart sank and I felt like crumbling.  I was disappointed that my body gave out on me and did not meet my potential.  Or in some ways I think knowing what my potential is and seeing the gap was/is frustrating.  My finish time 4:54:31.  Under 5, more than 4:30.  
My medal

What did I learn -what do I know?

I learned that I can finish more than half a marathon in sheer and utter pain. I know that I am mentally strong even in my weakest moments.  I know that I cry and can express that emotion and not feel bad about it. I know that I have some of the best and most amazing people in life.  I know that I will need to be patched up but I will run again.

Post marathon relaxation on the deck
Post marathon icing - I was too lazy to go get ice - vodka from the freezer works!




No comments:

Post a Comment