Sunday, May 11, 2014

Marathon Training

I'm in the midst of training for my second marathon and it feels completely different than my first go around.  The biggest change was my commitment to resistance cross training. I started with a reformer pilates class once a week and hitting the gym intermittently. My run plan is similar to what I have done in the past.  Much of my initiation to change was watching my friend, Kim transform not only physically but performance wise through the Metabolic Effect.  I couldn't find any time to get a weight work out in until, she told me she was only doing 30 minute strength workout.  I bought the book, read it from cover to cover and not only started doing resistance training but changed some eating patterns.  I dropped 8 lbs and noticed not only a change in my appearance, increased energy, increased speed and strength.

I bought a package of reformer sessions so I have been doing more reformer than weights recently.  My most recent training run was a 20 miler.  The day before I ran 5 in the morning and that evening did Pilates.  20.13 mile run - total time 3 hours 42 minutes and 49 seconds with only one major stop for the bathroom.  I felt stronger than ever.  I did have a foot cramp on mile 17 and felt like I was on fumes on mile 19, in part due to losing a gu.  My last nutrition was at mile 12....all things considered, I was rocked it.  I know that I will perform well at the marathon as I will have rest, appropriate nutrition and support on the course.

A & I before our 20 miler!


The day after our 20 miler I was worried as I had planned on going to Pilates.  I wasn't sure if my legs and abs would hold me, but I felt great throughout and after the class.  In some ways this is a true test of how ready I really am.   I have two more long runs before the marathon, a 12 and 8 miler.  As I taper,  my focus will be to continue my resistance training, stretching and rest, rest, rest and more rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment